How things changed in March… This month’s newsletter is filled with ever-changing updates as we seek to help connect you with resources and conversations as we creatively do ministry in the wake of COVID-19 responses. You all may receive another email from me this month as things evolve. We do have ongoing conversations and posts active at in our National YPM Group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/313959442137675/
Easter is coming, and with it, a season of new life. Prayers that you each guide and shepherd ministries into a new season of life. One that is creative and sustainable as we come to understand the new realities of physical and social distancing, as well as economic uncertainty.
BIG DEAL STUFF! 👇👇👇👇
Recommendations for Staff Positions Related to Youth Ministry: Supporting Longevity of Lay and Clergy Serving the Adolescent Lifestage
This has been an ongoing project, but one that has even more value as we head into uncertain economic times. Please, give a read, add comments. Add your name at the bottom if you are willing to agree and share this document in May! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jBObU2XbWaPPMPPsyhAS94gqZ9BEu3NlNYetCPyCbeA/edit?usp=sharing
Youth & Young Adult “Free Agent” Representation Pool for General Agency Board of Director Positions https://umcdiscipleship.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=756434a4416d9bc710b1f7cfe&id=97adfdfc24&e=84203888df**We will continue to collect names through June 25, 2020. That said, with no General Conference, nearly every General Agency will extend their current board for 1 year, meaning that the selection of people from this pool will happen in 2021. I have communicated this information to everyone who completed the form prior to April 2, 2020. Think of this as a “free agent pool” of young people that the church can use to ensure young voices are at the table! Please share this link to interested youth and young adults.
General Conference 2020 & DMYP Restructuring
General Conference is delayed until 2021 (probably August 30 – Sep 16). This means that any potential DMYP restructure and new processes will be delayed until 2021 or 2022. The timeline is evolving, and I will stay in communication as dates become clear. The current plan is to extend the current DMYP and Executive Team for one more year, hosting a virtual meeting to. Accomplish necessary business.
WESLEY WEEK in Taizé, France for 18-30 year-olds August 2-9, 2020. As of now, this gathering is still scheduled to occur. However, the Monastery at Taizè is monitoring the situation in France and may close. We will communicate when they have made a decision. More info here https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/calendar/event/wesley-week-gathering-for-young-adults-in-taize-france/
October 5-8, 2020, National Gathering of Annual Conference Leaders of Youth and Young Adult Ministry. Still on schedule, thanks Chris Lynch and the SEJ!
- October 5-8, 2020: National Gathering of Annual Conference Leaders of Youth and Young Adult Ministry. Thank you to Chris Lynch and the SEJ for hosting in Charleston, South Carolina and planning our 2020 gathering. Put these dates on your calendar now and plan to attend!!! There is no support quite like peer support!
- August 11-21, 2021: World Methodist Conference and Young Leader’s Seminar in Gothenburg, Sweden. http://worldmethodistconference.com/
- July 2022: Global Convocation and Legislative Assembly. Exploratory plans are in the works. The delay of General Conference goofed up this planning in a big way!
- Got an upcoming event or training that you’d like me to highlight? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Teens and Anxiety: Leaving the phone behind (for a little while) https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/teens-are-discovering-a-cure-for-coronavirus-anxiety-walks-no-phones-allowed/2020/03/26/ca2e36ba-6c40-11ea-aa80-c2470c6b2034_story.html
- Millennials, Nostalgia, and the Longing for Safety https://www.thinkburlap.com/blog/millennials-nostalgia-and-the-longing-for-safety?
- Generation Z’s Values: https://www.thinkburlap.com/blog/generation-zs-values
- Serving Today’s Anxious Generation: https://fulleryouthinstitute.org/blog/serving-todays-anxious-generation
- COVID-19 Things you can do: All Discipleship Ministries COVID-19 articles are here: https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/articles/resources-for-responding-to-covid-19-outbreak
- COVID-19 Resources and Coaching from the Youth Worker Collective. New articles every week. https://youthworkercollective.com/
- Safe Sanctuaries: Supporting a Shift to Online Youth Ministry Meetings https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/articles/safe-sanctuaries-supporting-a-shift-to-online-youth-ministry-meetings
- We are updating the umcyoungpeople.org website, along with Methodist-affiliated mission sites. Please share the opportunity to be posted for free on UMCyoungpeople.org with Mission and service organizations within your Conference. Contact email@example.com directly to be posted. She is contacting and updating anyone currently listed on umyouthmissions.org.
- Lenten Spritual Practices and more – Youth Ministry Responds to COVID-19: https://mailchi.mp/umcdiscipleship/lenten-spiritual-practices-and-more-2862812?e=2246318cb7&fbclid=IwAR0k9DggnBSx5jx-_7j1nn33dyHjm9R9ZkqoSjwGd8zFVn3-x5HjkrE6Evo
- Post Easter Worship Plans: “Revive Us Again” https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/worship-planning/revive-us-again
- COVID-19 Responding: A resource from Axis. https://axis.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/COVID-Tips-Final.pdf
- WORSHIP: Holy Week https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/worship-planning/holy-week-2020
- Adaptable At Home Easter Egg Hunt: https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/articles/adaptable-easter-egg-hunt-for-families-during-covid-19
- Youth Cartel: Weekly Worship for Youth Ministers plus 30-minutes of free coaching in April! https://www.facebook.com/theyouthcartel/
Director, Young People’s Ministries
UMC Discipleship Ministries