April 24, 2019 -
07:00 PM / 09:00 PM
Sherman Oaks UMC, 14401 Dickens St, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
Sherman Oaks United Methodist Church’s Leadership Development Academy presents “Certified Lay Servant School” in partnership with Lay Servant Ministries to develop effective leaders.
Spring courses will start Wednesday, April 24, 2019 for five consecutive Wednesdays (April 24, May 1, May 8, May 15, and May 22, 2019).
Time: Wednesdays, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Location: Sherman Oaks UMC, 14401 Dickens St, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
Cost & Deadline: $25 through April 22, 2019. No late registrations.
About the Courses & Instructors:
Introduction to Lay Ministry: The BASIC Course with Rev. Kalesita Tu’ifua
- A Basic Course is required to become a Certified Lay Servant. “The Basic Course for Lay Servants” is the first course one takes to become a Certified Lay Servant to prepare for the servant activities in the local church. The course introduces the stated purposes of Lay Servant Ministries such as caring, leading, and communication. This course will use the Lay Servant Ministries: Basic Course. Completion of this course is required before taking an advanced class.
- Rev. Dr. Kalesita Tu’ifua is the pastor of Knollwood UMC, which has both an English and a Tongan ministry. She hopes her presence and leadership in the Lay Servant Ministry BASIC Course will spur interest from the Tongan and Pacific Islander community in Lay Servant Ministries. Rev. Dr. Tu’ifua is uniquely equipped to bridge language and cultural barriers that arise during the course.
Lay Pastoral Care Giving (ADVANCED Course) with Rev. Garth Gilliam
- The Advanced Course Lay Pastoral Care Giving offers insights into the life span and dynamics of contemporary life to help church leaders reach out with God’s love and care for others.
- Rev. Garth Gilliam is the pastor of Sherman Oaks UMC and the Co-Director of Lay Servant Ministries in the North District. Pastor Garth believes Lay Servant Ministries is the best empowerment vehicle for leaders in The UMC.
- Certified Lay Servant: A certified lay servant is a person who has received specific training to witness to the Christian faith through spoken communication, to lead within a church and community, and to provide caring ministry. The certified lay servant serves the local church or charge (or beyond the local church) in ways in which their witness, leadership, and service inspires others to a deeper commitment to Christ and more effective discipleship.
- Certified Lay Speaker: A certified lay speaker is a certified lay servant (or equivalent) whose call has been affirmed by the conference committee on lay servant ministries or equivalent structure to serve the church in pulpit supply. The certified lay speaker serves by preaching the Word when requested by the pastor, district superintendent, or committee on lay servant ministries.
- SOUMC Certified Lay Pastor: This is a certificate program unique to SOUMC’s Leadership Development Academy. This program will empower Lay people to come along side the senior pastor in spiritual shepherding & leadership of the local Church. Those who obtain this ministry designation will have also completed the requirements to become a “Certified Lay Speaker” within the Lay Servant Ministries program. Core classes include:
- Discipling God’s People – Nurture & Shepherding Core
- Reaching New People – Outreach & Evangelism Core
- Leading Witness & Worship – Worship & Preaching Core
Please note that no childcare is available for these classes; participants must attend all 5 class sessions to receive course credit.
Register online via the button below or please see brochure for other options. All are welcome to attend.
REGISTER ONLINE NOW Registration Brochure