Through LEAD, discover the gifts God has given you, learn inspirational spiritual disciplines, share in a deeper faith journey with a diverse group of people your age and become a leader in your church and community.
Leadership Experience and Discipleship (LEAD) is an immersive leadership development program for people 16 to 25 years of age that includes a paid summer internship or summer volunteer position in The United Methodist Church.
The initial goal is to develop 25 LEAD interns trained and placed in United Methodist ministry settings in at least four districts in the summer of 2018 involving diversity of age, ethnicity, gender and types of ministry.
- 25 young people with an in-depth experiential ministry leadership training and experience with the United Methodist Church for a minimum of 75 hours
- increasing the depth of the discipleship walk for 25 young people
- providing leadership in United Methodist ministries in settings that transform lives, leaders, congregations and the world
- encouraging the call to ministry for participants
1 — Basic Wesleyan understanding of discipleship and the way of being a Christian.
2 – Recognizing and discerning the call to servant leadership. What is a leader?
3 – Spiritual Gifts, Strength-Finder, Four Tendencies, Myers-Briggs – Self-Assessment
4 – Small group time and on-going covenant community
5 – Practical tools for leadership
- Job description, expectations – “I am responsible for…”
- Accountability to mission, supervision, organization
- Assessment of needs – contextual learning
- Giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Being a “transformational leader”
6 – Goal setting – organizational and personal.
7 – Developing consistent, effective habits as a servant leader
- Spiritual disciplines
- Staying within yourself
- Working in accountability with a covenant community
8 – Practicum – role playing
Possible placement settings:
- Summer Day Camp in Local Church
- Summer Overnight Camp
- Community Garden Ministry
- Food Bank
- Campus Ministry
- No Estan Solos program
- Seniors Visitation program
- No fee is required
- Participation in training at weekend event in April
- Commitment to 50 hours of documented summer volunteer or paid leadership and 25 hours of documented fall volunteer leadership in a local church by year’s end
Minimum requirement for Ministry Settings:
- Qualified and trained supervisor, experiential ministry setting that provides documented leadership opportunity for the LEAD intern.
- Participation in orientation meeting. If offering paid position, ability to pay 50% of intern’s stipend.
- April 20, 2018 deadline for LEAD applications and ministry setting applications to be received and approved.
- April 27-29, 2018 required training weekend for all LEAD applicants.
- June 1-August 31 – placement work in leadership ministry settings
- September 1-December 31 – time for volunteer work in local churches and follow-up day apart for all summer 2018 participants.
All applicants can apply online via the button below.
For any questions or more information, contact Rev. David Berkey (firstname.lastname@example.org), Director of Camp and Retreat Ministries.
APPLY ONLINE NOW