The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) and our California-Pacific Conference UMVIM/Disaster Response Team coordinates Relief and Response teams to disaster areas.
Currently, Early Response Teams are being sent to areas affected by Hurricane Harvey. The following dates are when Early Response Teams are scheduled to go:
- Oct. 18-29 – Chainsaw Team (chainsaw certification done on-site) Jim Reeves at Jim44@cox.net or 602-625-4611
- Oct. 21-29 – Polly Turner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 480 861-9033
- Oct. 28-Nov. 5 – Judy Lewis at email@example.com or 909-731-8248
- Nov. 4-12 – James Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nov. 11-18 – John Moore at email@example.com
The responsibilities of an Early Response Team include click here. Anyone in the local church who desire to volunteer or to send a team of volunteers from the church can first contact Judy Lewis, CAL-PAC UMVIM Coordinator, who can assess the steps required to be able to serve on a team
As the situation stabilizes, long-term recovery organizations will issue requests for UMVIM Rebuild Teams.
The opportunities and responsibilities for teams sent into disaster areas are various and there might be a number of steps involved in joining a team. The first step is assessment which our Conference UMVIM Coordinator will undertake.
To get started, contact Judy Lewis (firstname.lastname@example.org), Cal-Pac UMVIM Coordinator.