At this time, the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) is unable to receive communications from its partners in Puerto Rico because of power outages. UMCOR will wait to respond as its partners conduct an assessment of what is most needed.
And, UMCOR is in communication with its partners in the impacted region in Mexico, including the local Methodist Church, and is ready to support with relief efforts. Please pray for those surviving the earthquakes and for emergency responders.
The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) has set up webpages for updates on the response to Hurricane Maria and Mexico, accessible via the buttons below.
Our California-Pacific Conference South District’s Hispanic/Latino Committee is planning for a special donation for those affected by the earthquakes in Mexico. Additional information will be announced as it becomes available.
5 Things You Can Do:
- Please continue to pray for those whose lives have been impacted by these disasters, including those among us in the California-Pacific Conference who have loved ones in the directly affected areas.
- Make relief kits and flood buckets – Any church can help build health kits and cleaning buckets by following these instructions from UMCOR. Contact Cal-Pac’s Carol Ann Nelsen CACNelsen@yahoo.com to arrange for delivering them.
- Give to UMCOR‘s United States Disaster Response Advance (#901670), and/or the International Disaster Response Advance (#982450).
- Please donate only those items requested.
- Please wait for an invitation to volunteer for a response team. From Cal-Pac, please coordinate with the Disaster Response Task Force (email@example.com) and notify them of your interest in joining a team.