Dates: California & Hawaii: Wednesdays, June 22 - July 20, 2022 (6 PM - 8 PM PDT | 3 PM - 5 PM HST)
- California & Hawaii: Wednesdays, June 22 – July 20, 2022 (6 PM – 8 PM PDT | 3 PM – 5 PM HST)
- Guam & Saipan: Thursdays, June 23 – July 21, 2022 (11 AM – 1 PM ChST)
Cost: free but you must provide your own books (see below)
Registration Deadline: June 15, 2022 (max. 30 participants)
This series is sponsored by East District Lay Servant Ministries and open to participants from all Cal-Pac districts. The class size will max at 30 participants and registration will close if that number is reached before June 15.
Offering practical guidelines for avoiding common pitfalls of public prayer. Prayer is something we learn; it is something that can be taught. For many, however, the only teaching about prayer they ever receive is modeled in Sunday worship.
This course may challenge some of your assumptions, test some of your preconceived ideas, stretch your thinking, and enrich your prayer life. It will, at the very least, present you with an opportunity to grow in the discipline of leading public prayer.
The instructor is Rev. Martin Finau, the pastor at Temple City First UMC in the East District.
- Attendance is required at all sessions for credit. All those seeking certification as a Certified Lay Servant (CLS) are invited to attend. The Basic Class and one Advanced Class is required to successfully apply for CLS status within 3 years. For more information about Lay Servant Ministries, click here.
- Provide your own books: All participants will need a copy Shaping the Prayers of the People: The Art of Intercession by Samuel Wells and Abigail Kocher (Amazon, Cokesbury)
- Technical requirements: To participate in Zoom meetings, participants must have a reliable Internet connection, and a laptop, tablet, or smartphone device that can download and install the Zoom app. A web or phone camera and a microphone are highly recommended, although some users may call in via phone if a mic is not available.
Zoom information will be included in your confirmation email.
For questions about this course, contact Khanh Doan, East District Director of Lay Servant Ministries, at iamkdoan [at] gmail.com.