Dates: California & Hawaii: Tuesdays, August 31 - September 28, 2021 (8 PM - 10 PM PDT | 5 PM
- California & Hawaii: Tuesdays, August 31 – September 28, 2021 (8 PM – 10 PM PDT | 5 PM – 7 PM HST)
- Guam & Saipan: Wednesdays, September 1 – September 29, 2021 (1 PM – 3 PM ChST)
Cost: Free but you must acquire your own book (see below)
RSVP Deadline: Sunday, August 29, 2021
This class is open to participants from all Cal-Pac districts (limited to first 30 participants).
- Advanced Course – Discovering Your Spiritual Gifts is divided into 5 sessions. The Instructor is Winnie Ching, Hawaii District Lay Servant Ministries Director.
- Attendance is required at all sessions for credit. All those seeking certification as a Certified Lay Servant are invited to attend.
- The BASIC class and one Advanced Class is required to successfully apply for Certified Lay Servant status.
- For those seeking Certified Lay Speaker status, this class is one of the seven required Advanced classes that follow the BASIC class: Discovering Your Spiritual Gifts, United Methodist Heritage or History, United Methodist Polity, Leading Prayer, Planning Worship, Leading Worship, Preaching..
- The required book is For the Common Good, Discovering and Using Your Spiritual Gifts by Christine Harman (Amazon, Cokesbury or Upper Room).
- Session I: Discover the biblical foundations for spiritual gifts and the many examples of God as Giver
- Session II: Discover our own spiritual gifts and God’s call in our lives
- Session III: Expanding our self-discovery and other elements of our lives
- Session IV: Become familiar with a variety of gift-based church models
- Session V: Turning Gifts into Ministries with a plan
Zoom information will be provided by the instructor directly to participants and is not included in the confirmation.
- Technical requirements: To participate in Zoom meetings, participants must have a reliable Internet connection, and a laptop, tablet, or smartphone device that can download and install the Zoom app. A web or phone camera and a microphone are highly recommended, although some users may call in via phone if a mic is not available.
For questions, contact Winnie Ching at firstname.lastname@example.org.