Dates: California & Hawaii: Thursdays, September 9 - October 7, 2021 (6:30 PM - 8:30 PM PDT | 3:30 PM
- California & Hawaii: Thursdays, September 9 – October 7, 2021 (6:30 PM – 8:30 PM PDT | 3:30 PM – 5:30 PM HST)
- Guam & Saipan: Fridays, September 10 – October 8, 2021 (11:30 AM – 1:30 PM ChST)
Cost: Free but you must acquire your own book (see below)
RSVP Deadline: Tuesday, September 7, 2021
This class is open to participants from all Cal-Pac districts (limited to first 35 participants).
- Advanced Course – United Methodist Polity & Organization is divided into 5 sessions. The Instructor is Pam Churness, South District Lay Servant Ministries Director.
- Attendance is required at all sessions for credit. All those seeking certification as a Certified Lay Servant are invited to attend.
- The BASIC class and one Advanced Class is required to successfully apply for Certified Lay Servant status.
- For those seeking Certified Lay Speaker status, this class is one of the seven required Advanced classes that follow the BASIC class: Discovering Your Spiritual Gifts, United Methodist Heritage or History, United Methodist Polity, Leading Prayer, Planning Worship, Leading Worship, Preaching.
- The required book is The Method of our Mission: United Methodist Polity & Organization by Laceye C. Warner (Amazon, Cokesbury or Upper Room). A copy of the 2016 Book of Discipline is recommended for this course.
Session I: A missionary reform movement becomes a “Connection”
Session II: The Connection sends missionaries: itineracy, ministry and annual conference
Session III: Working Together Locally and Globally
Session IV: Beyond Annual Conference: The General Conference, Judicial Council and International Connections
Session V: For Such a Time as This
Zoom information will be provided by the instructor directly to participants and is not included in the confirmation.
- Technical requirements: To participate in Zoom meetings, participants must have a reliable Internet connection, and a laptop, tablet, or smartphone device that can download and install the Zoom app. A web or phone camera and a microphone are highly recommended, although some users may call in via phone if a mic is not available.
For questions, contact Pam Churness at firstname.lastname@example.org or 619.972.7113.