The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR), part of the General Board of Global Ministries (GBGM), is encouraging all churches to participate in A Sunday in Solidarity for Suffering Children 2019, this Sunday, June 30, 2019.
The purpose of this Sunday is to support and learn more about ongoing United Methodist efforts with refugee children and families. A statement about this Sunday is available here.
GBGM resources and specific ways of participating are available here.
In addition, the California-Pacific Conference has been engaged in border ministry as well as in ministry with unaccompanied minors here in our region. The following is a selection of such work:
- Bishop Hagiya’s Statement in Support of Sanctuary
- DACA and Other Resources
- You Are Not Alone Unaccompanied Migrant Children Program and Welcome Centers
- Christ Ministry Center / San Diego Safe Harbors Network
- El Centro/ Calexico Cooperative Ministry with Asylum Seekers
- San Fernando Valley Refugee Children Center
- El Faro Border Church
For more information, contact Rev. Joel Hortiales (email@example.com), Director of Hispanic/Latino and Border Ministries, and Rev. David Farley (firstname.lastname@example.org), Director of Justice and Compassion Ministries.