“Light in the Darkness” is Bishop Grant J. Hagiya’s Holiday year-end message of hope to all clergy and all congregations of the California-Pacific Annual Conference.
It is the Bishop’s hope that pastors and congregations will recognize the unique load pastors are carrying this Advent and Christmas season. With services online and in person and Christmas and New Year’s falling on the weekend this year, the Bishop invites you to give the gift of time to pastors and worship leaders and use this service as a special year-end sharing.
Transcripts of the Bishop’s message are available in English, Korean, Spanish, Tongan, and Vietnamese.
May the gift of hope born in the Christ child bring you joy and peace in this blessed season!
Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness. — Desmond Tutu
Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself. — Desiderius Erasmus
There are two ways of accessing the video files. First, the entire worship service is downloadable as one file. Or, each part of the worship service is downloadable at their corresponding Vimeo page. Look for the “Download” button below the video, to the right.
A) Entire Worship Service – VIEW/DOWNLOAD HERE
This is the complete worship service. Please note that it can be a large file size to download.
B) Parts of the Worship Service
- Prelude: “The Winter Moon” performed by Alison Bjorkedal & Yoojung Chung (Westwood UMC)
- Invocation: from Flames of the Spirit by Rev. Martha Morales, Chair of the Order of Deacons
- Special Music: “Come On and Celebrate”, “To God Be The Glory”, “Ca Ngoi Chua” (“Praise The Lord”) performed in Vietnamese by Wesley UMC of San Diego Praise Band
- Scripture & Witness from the World: Psalm 98 | Michael Mitchell, South District Lay Leader
- Prayer of Confession & Lord’s Prayer: from Flames of the Spirit by Rev. Anna Mulford, Chair of the Order of Elders
- Witness from the Word: John 1:1-9 | Rev. Dr. Siosaia Tu’itahi, East District Superintendent
- Message: “Light in the Darkness” Bishop Grant J. Hagiya
- Special Music: “O Holy Night” performed by Dr. Leo Pascua (Wahiawa UMC)
- Benediction: Erin Hawkins, Executive Director of Connectional Ministries
- Postlude: “Bring a Torch” performed by Yoojung Chung (Westwood UMC)
Theme & Order of Worship