The Committee on Native American Ministries (CONAM) of the California-Pacific Conference is collecting school supplies for Sherman Indian High School in Riverside, California. Sherman Indian High School, formerly Sherman Indian Institute, was established in Perris, CA, 1892, as a U.S. Boarding School. Now in Riverside, CA, Sherman IHS is one of four residential schools for native American students still operated by the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), now under the division of Indian Education.
The school has a limited budget, and the students most often come from great distance, making it difficult to arrive with much more than basic clothing. The school staff has reached out and let CONAM know of the usual needs for students coming on campus in August, 2022. In 2021, over 21 California-Pacific Conference churches provided school supplies, back packs, comforters, snacks, and incentive gift cards. This was recognized at the schools Earth Day celebrations with a Golden Eagle Award.
The following are items being collected:
- School supplies, such as
- college ruled notebook paper
- college ruled composition books/notebooks
- #2 pencils
- colored pencils
- 3-ring binders / notebooks
- (other school or art supplies also welcome – must be new)
- Student personal supplies, such as
- back packs
- large beach towels
- XL Twin comforters
- (personal hygiene items also welcome – must be new)
- Many students find the BIA’s federal food program limiting, especially those participating in sports, and other extra curricular activities. Many have provided cheese & crackers, peanut butter & crackers, peanut butter, ramen, and other shelf-stable snack items.
- Teacher Requests
- for small denomination gift cards to places like McDonald’s, Target, Wal-Mart, Domino’s, Little Caesars, Chic-fil-A, etc. Preferred amounts are $5.00 or $10.00. These are provided as incentive cards. Some generous church members have provided larger denomination cards which are held for class or group functions.
Items may be brought to Native American UMC, 800 S Lemon St, Anaheim, CA 92805. For information and arrangements, please call 714.535.2429 or email the office at email@example.com.
Many, many thanks to all who have helped make these students feel welcome and more at home. As one student asked last year when receiving a back pack filled with supplies, a beach towel, and snacks: “Who is doing this? Who cares about us?” Lorene Sisquoc, Sherman IHS staff & coordinator of this program, shared: “The United Methodist Church did this!”