Dates: California & Hawaii: Tuesdays, September 13 - October 11, 2022 (7 PM - 9 PM PDT | 4 PM
- California & Hawaii: Tuesdays, September 13 – October 11, 2022 (7 PM – 9 PM PDT | 4 PM – 6 PM HST)
- Guam & Saipan: Wednesdays, September 14 – October 12, 2022 (Noon – 2 PM ChST)
Cost: Free but you must acquire your own book (see below)
Registration Deadline: Sunday, September 11, 2022
This class is open to participants from all Cal-Pac districts (limited to first 24 participants). This class is sponsored by East District Lay Servant Ministries.
- This course helps participants understand United Methodism’s polity and organization as the interrelationship of our beliefs, mission, and practice. It offers an overview of the structure and organization of The United Methodist Church.
- The Instructor is Rev. Luan-Vu “Lui” Tran. Rev. Tran is Pastor of Garden Grove UMC and member of the Judicial Council of The United Methodist Church.
- Attendance is required at all sessions for credit. All those seeking certification as a Certified Lay Servant are invited to attend.
- The BASIC class and one Advanced Class is required to successfully apply for Certified Lay Servant status.
- Certified Lay Speaker status: After you take the Basic Lay Servant Class, you have 3 years to take an advanced class to qualify you as a Certified Lay Servant. If you want to continue on to being a Certified Lay Speaker, you will need to take the following advanced classes: Discovering Your Spiritual Gifts, Leading Prayer, Planning Worship, Leading Worship, United Methodist Heritage, United Methodist Polity and Preaching. To learn more about Lay Servant Ministries, click here.
- The required book is The Method of Our Mission by Laceye C. Warner (Amazon, Cokesbury).
Zoom information will be provided by the instructor directly to participants.
- Technical requirements: To participate in Zoom meetings, participants must have a reliable Internet connection, and a laptop, tablet, or smartphone device that can download and install the Zoom app. A web or phone camera and a microphone are highly recommended, although some users may call in via phone if a mic is not available.
For questions, contact Khanh Doan, East District Director of Lay Servant Ministries, at email@example.com.