29aug(aug 29)6:00 PM26sep(sep 26)8:00 PMLSM Advanced Course: Preaching "Dancing with Words - Storytelling as Legacy, Culture, and Faith" 2023 (Leadership)(august 29) 6:00 PM - (september 26) 8:00 PM PDT
Dates: California & Hawaii: Tuesdays, August 29 - September 26, 2023 (6 PM - 8 PM PDT | 3 PM
- California & Hawaii: Tuesdays, August 29 – September 26, 2023 (6 PM – 8 PM PDT | 3 PM – 5 PM HST)
- Guam & Saipan: Wednesdays, August 30 – September 27, 2023 (11 AM – 1 PM ChST)
Cost: $15. The purchase of a book is also required.
Registration due: Monday, August 28, 2023
This class is open to participants from all Cal-Pac districts.
About the Class:
- Dancing With Words: As people of faith, storytelling has special meaning. We are people of the story, and we seek to identify and share our stories in nearly everything we do. Dancing With Words provides help for all church leaders to explore storytelling in faith development and acquire basic storytelling skills. They will discover ways storytelling enhances ministry and explore storytelling’s use in sermons and teaching.
- The course is being organized by East District Lay Servant Ministries, and will be taught by Patricia Hogan, former Cal-Pac Conference Director of Lay Servant Ministries.
- Provide your own book: All participants will need a copy of Dancing With Words: Storytelling as Legacy, Culture, and Faith by Ray Buckley (Amazon, Cokesbury).
- Attendance is required at all sessions for credit. All those seeking certification as a Certified Lay Servant are invited to attend. The BASIC class and one Advanced Class is required to successfully apply for Certified Lay Servant status. This is one of the six classes required to become a Certified Lay Speaker. Other required advanced courses, in addition to the BASIC class for Certified Lay Speaker certification are Preaching, Leading or Planning Worship, Discovering Your Spiritual Gifts, United Methodist Heritage or United Methodist History, and United Methodist Polity.
- About Certified Lay Servant (CLS) status: After you take the Basic Lay Servant Class, you have 3 years to take an advanced class to qualify you as a Certified Lay Servant. If you want to continue on to being a Certified Lay Speaker, you will need to take the following advanced classes: Discovering Your Spiritual Gifts, Leading Prayer, Planning Worship or Leading Worship, United Methodist Heritage, United Methodist Polity and Preaching. For more information about Lay Servant Ministries, click here.
Zoom information will be sent to you later by the instructor.
- Technical requirements: To participate in Zoom meetings, participants must have a reliable Internet connection, and a laptop, tablet, or smartphone device that can download and install the Zoom app. A web or phone camera and a microphone are highly recommended, although some users may call in via phone if a mic is not available.
For questions, contact Khanh Doan, East District Lay Servant Ministries Director, at email@example.com.