The Holy Land Strategy Group, also known as the Cal-Pac Palestine/Israel Task Force (CPPITF), seeks to inform, inspire, and mobilize United Methodists in the California-Pacific Conference for effective advocacy and action, for the goal of achieving a just peace in the Holy Land.
We are equipped and ready to provide education for our churches about the modern history of the region, the conditions on the ground that need to be addressed today, the position and actions of The United Methodist Church, and scriptural and theological perspectives on justice in Palestine/Israel. We provide opportunities to support and engage in campaigns and programs with United Methodists across the Connection, and we have a strong interest in intersectional justice work with others in our conference.
Our task force also encourages responsible tourism when visiting the Holy Land, to assist Cal-Pac United Methodists in adhering to our church’s guidelines for Holy Land tours. We would welcome the opportunity to connect with those who are planning a trip for themselves, their congregation, or any group in our conference, and just as importantly, to be in touch after returning home.
Our most recent activity was leading a resolution to adoption at the Cal-Pac annual conference session of 2023: “Identifying and Opposing Apartheid in the Holy Land (PDF).”
We would love to hear from you, answer your questions, and assist you in whatever ways you would like to engage in education and advocacy for justice in the Holy Land.
Preach & Pray Palestine
UM for Kairos Response
- Preach Palestine (FOSNA)
- via sermons, songs, prayers or litanies, group studies, children’s stories, and more
- Apartheid-Free Congregations
- Inspired by the anti-Apartheid movement in South Africa, United Methodists have worked with an interdenominational coalition of faith groups in North America to create and lead this campaign.
- United Methodists For Kairos Response (UMKR)
- The Kairos Palestine Document “A Moment of Truth” (2009)
- a statement of faith and call to action from the Christian community in Palestine, endorsed by all the Heads and Patriarchs of Palestine’s churches
- Cry for Hope (2021)
- Kairos Palestine’s renewing and strengthening the 2009 call and challenging Christians to take effective action for Palestinian freedom and equality; importance of naming Israeli apartheid
- The BDS Call (2005)
- call for economic activism in the form of boycotts, divestment and sanctions (BDS) from a broad cross-section of Palestinian civil society
- Opposition to Israeli Settlements in Palestinian Land, UMC Book of Resolutions 2016, #6111 (PDF)
the position of our church regarding the Israeli occupation and call for a boycott of all products produced in Israel’s illegal settlements on Palestinian land
- Holy Land Tours, UMC Book of Resolutions 2016, #6031 (PDF)
- to engage with the people of the Holy Land, particularly Palestinian Christians, when we visit their homeland and what we can do
M. Theresa Basile
Chair, Palestine/Israel Task Force
323.253.9087 | email@example.com
Rev. Dr. Denyse Barnes
Director of Justice & Compassion EMT
626.568.7356 | firstname.lastname@example.org