Nan McCurdy and Miguel Mairena are Board of Global Ministries Missionaries newly assigned as Mission Interpreters (mission ambassadors from Global Ministries) for the Western Jurisdiction. They are living in the California Pacific Conference and follow Rev. Jim Dwyer in this role.
Nan and Miguel served for many years in Nicaragua working with women and youth, especially in prevention of violence and promotion of gender equity. They also worked with Volunteer in Mission teams and educated about topics like US-Nicaragua relations, immigration and fair trade.
Their hope is to bring United Methodists closer to our missionaries and Global Ministries Mission Programs like UMCOR (emergency relief and development) and the Global Mission Fellows program, a leadership development and mission service opportunity that allows young adults age 20 to 30 to take part in mission and social justice ministries in both international and domestic contexts.
As Mission Interpreters they are available to:
- Interpret the work of the General Board of Global Ministries as it connects the church in mission around the globe
- Encourage churches to enter into covenant relationships with our missionaries
- Participate in mission celebrations, schools of mission, and other mission events
- Serve as a resource for interpreting God’s mission by preaching, teaching, or facilitating about mission work
- Support social justice and other mission endeavors of the Conference
Nan and Miguel can be contacted at (949) 397-4729 or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com)
Submitted by Nan McCurdy and Miguel Mairena