Guide to Disaster Response Task Force
At the November 2012 meeting of the Justice and Compassion Essential Ministries Team, Rev. Holly Reinhart-Marian requested a report from the Early Response Team mission to work on the devastation left by Superstorm Sandy. The JCEMT appointed Judy Lewis to be Cal-Pac’s Disaster Response coordinator who subsequently gathered a group of interested volunteers, clergy and lay, to become what is today the Disaster Response Task Force.
The Task Force is extremely active, with Rev. David Farley as the staff person assigned, and able and willing to present at churches, groups, or events information related to Disaster Response:
- church/individual disaster plans
- preparing a local church to respond to their neighbors in disaster
- helping a local church inventory their assets before a disaster happens
- training for early response
- leader training for ERT and UMVIM teams (national or international)
- being a center in a disaster
- case management training
- encouraging and delivering UMCOR kits to either UMCOR West or Sager Brown depots
The Task Force would welcome calls to clarify how we might help a local church with preparedness. We are a part of VOAD (Volunteer Organizations Assisting in Disaster) and active with the Jurisdiction and National Disaster Response coordinators and UMVIM coordinators.
- Judy Lewis, Coordinator, UMVIM/Disaster Response Task Force
DFJKLewis@aol.com | 909.731.8248